Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Satoru Izutsu Endowed Professor
Director of Graduate Medical Education and Designated Institutional Official
Stanford University, BS – Biological Sciences
University of Hawai’i, John A. Burns School of Medicine, MD
University of Hawai’i Family Medicine Residency Program
Faculty Development, University of Hawai’i, John A. Burns School of Medicine
Clinical & Academic Roles
Medical Student Role
- Oversees all aspects of academic affairs that supports the continuum of medical education at JABSOM (pipeline programs, ‘Imi Ho‘ola post-baccalaureate program, medical education program, residency/fellowship programs, faculty development, faculty affairs and continuing medical education and the programs and services that support the above)
- Mentorship & Career Advising
- Resident Continuity Clinic Preceptor (University Health Partners Hawai’i Family Medicine Clinic)
- Didactic Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
- Pacific Regional Central Cancer Registry – Principal Investigator
- Pacific Regional Comprehensive Cancer Control Program – Co-Principal Investigator
- Cervical Cancer Prevention (HPV immunization) and screening in resource-limited populations
- Health Disparities in U.S. Affiliated Pacific Island jurisdictions
For a complete listing, click here.
- Hernandez BY, Tareg AC, Reichhardt M, et al. Randomized controlled trial evaluating the utility of urine HPV DNA for cervical cancer screening in a Pacific Island population. J Glob Health Rep. 2018;2:e2018016.
- Ekeroma A, Dyer R, Palafox N, et al. Cancer management in the Pacific region: a report on innovation and good practice. Lancet Oncol. 2019;20(9):e493‐e502. doi:10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30414-0
- Bordallo RA, Alam L, Bonto A, Uncangco A, Buenconsejo-Lum L. Together we can: Collaborative Efforts to Reduce the Cancer Burden on Guam and Save Lives. Guam Med Assoc J. 2019;1(1):9‐16.
- Palafox NA, Given L, Hohman K, et al. Comprehensive cancer control planning in the Pacific: the Cancer Council of the Pacific Islands a multi-national regional coalition. Cancer Causes Control. 2018;29(12):1287‐1295. doi:10.1007/s10552-018-1115-z
- Palafox NA, Reichhardt M, Taitano JR, et al. A Socio-Ecological Framework for Cancer Control in the Pacific: A Community Case Study of the US Affiliated Pacific Island Jurisdictions 1997-2017. Front Public Health. 2018;6:313. Published 2018 Nov 13. doi:10.3389/fpubh.2018.00313
- Tom A, Robinett H, Buenconsejo-Lum L, et al. Promoting and Providing HPV Vaccination in Hawaii: Barriers Faced by Health Providers. J Community Health. 2016;41(5):1069‐1077. doi:10.1007/s10900-016-0191-9
- Waxman AG, Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Cremer M, et al. Cervical Cancer Screening in the United States-Affiliated Pacific Islands: Options and Opportunities. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2016;20(1):97‐104. doi:10.1097/LGT.0000000000000161
- Sy AU, Hernandez BY, Tareg A, Reichhardt M, Buenconsejo-Lum L. Acceptability and feasibility of a community based participatory research project comparing cytology and urine HPV DNA testing for cervical cancer screening in Yap, Federated States of Micronesia. Cancer Epidemiol. 2017;50(Pt B):283‐288. doi:10.1016/j.canep.2017.07.008
- Senkomago V, Royalty J, Miller JW, Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Benard VB, Saraiya M. Cervical cancer screening in the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP) in four US-Affiliated Pacific Islands between 2007 and 2015. Cancer Epidemiol. 2017;50(Pt B):260‐267. doi:10.1016/j.canep.2017.04.011
- Townsend JS, Stormo AR, Roland KB, Buenconsejo-Lum L, White S, Saraiya M. Current cervical cancer screening knowledge, awareness, and practices among U.S. affiliated pacific island providers: opportunities and challenges. Oncologist. 2014;19(4):383‐393. doi:10.1634/theoncologist.2013-0340
- Hixon AL, Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Racsa CP. GIS residency footprinting: analyzing the impact of family medicine graduate medical education in Hawai’i. Hawaii J Med Public Health. 2012;71(4 Suppl 1):31‐39.
- Buenconsejo-Lum L, Wong VS, Palafox NA. Comprehensive cancer control in the U.S. Associated Pacific Island Nations. Hawaii Med J. 2006;65(11):324‐325.
- Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Chen TH, Tofaeono VT, Oo E. American Samoa assessment for a continuing health care professional development program. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):31‐38.
- Hixon AL, Buenconsejo-Lum LE. Developing the rural primary care workforce in Hawaii–a 10-point plan. Hawaii Med J. 2010;69(6 Suppl 3):53‐55.
- Tseng CW, Buenconsejo-Lum L, Manlucu L, Hixon A. Physicians’ willingness and barriers to considering cost when prescribing. Hawaii Med J. 2006;65(11):318‐321.
- Palafox NA, Buenconsejo-Lum L, Riklon S, Waitzfelder B. Improving health outcomes in diverse populations: competency in cross-cultural research with indigenous Pacific islander populations. Ethn Health. 2002;7(4):279‐285. doi:10.1080/1355785022000060736
- Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Maskarinec GG, Palafox NA. Pacific Association for Clinical Training (PACT): lessons learned and next steps in developing a sustainable continuing health professionals education system in the United States-Affiliated Pacific Island (USAPI) jurisdictions. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):224‐233.
- Timoteo-Liaina I, Khozaim K, Chen YA, et al. The rising relative and absolute incidence of uterine cancer in specific populations [published online ahead of print, 2020 Feb 29]. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020;10.1002/ijgo.13130. doi:10.1002/ijgo.13130
- Chen TH, Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Braun KL, Higa C, Maskarinec GG. A pilot evaluation of distance education modalities for health workers in the U.S.-Affiliated Pacific Islands. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):22‐30.
- Chen TH, Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Palafox NA. Pacific basin health worker training in the United States-Affiliated Pacific Islands: needs assessment and priorities for a continuing health care professional development program: executive summary. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):15‐21.
- Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Hixon AL, Palafox NA, Shinagawa SM. Guest editorial. Developing human resources for health in the Pacific. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):5‐8.
- Langidrik JR, Riklon S, Lanwi S, et al. Republic of the Marshall Islands assessment for a continuing health care professional development program. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):81‐88.
- Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Chen TH, Hedson J, Maskarinec GG. Pohnpei assessment for a continuing health care professional development program. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):63‐66.
- Chen TH, Buenconsejo-Lum LE, Yatar JL, Duenas L, Maskarinec GG. Guam assessment for a continuing health care professional development program. Pac Health Dialog. 2007;14(1):46‐52.
- Sy AU, Heckert KA, Buenconsejo-Lum L, Hedson J, Tamang S, Palafox N. An assessment of the Pacific Regional Cancer Coalition: outcomes and implications of a regional coalition internal and external assessment. Hawaii Med J. 2011;70(11 Suppl 2):47‐53.
- 6/30/2007, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Pacific Regional Central Cancer Registry
- 1994 – Inductee, Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 2003 – UH JABSOM nominee for AAMC Humanism In Medicine Award
- 2011 – Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians
- 2014 – Nominee, UH Board of Regents Excellence in Teaching Award
- Dr. Buenconsejo-Lum joined the UH JABSOM DFMCH faculty after completing her residency in July 1997. She has served as the Associate Program Director, Medical Director, Residency Program Director and Department Vice-Chair. Despite her residency focus, Dr. Buenconsejo-Lum also stayed in involved with medical student education as a PBL tutor, lecturer on chronic kidney disease and health system science, and provided assistance with evaluating students in their MS1-3 years. In 2016, Dr. Buenconsejo-Lum became the Designated Institutional Official (DIO), overseeing all of the JABSOM residency and fellowship programs. In 2020, Dr. Buenconsejo-Lum became the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, in addition to continuing in her role as DIO.
Photo courtesy of Brad Goda Photography